Vacancy alert: FIA head of legal and regulatory affairs
Our partner The Financial Intermediaries Association (FIA) has an open position for a head of legal and regulatory affairs. The FIA’s primary purpose is to represent, protect, promote and further the common interests of its members within the insurance industry. The potential candidate for the vacancy should have a minimum of 5 years’ legal and regulatory experience within the financial services industry, to join the team.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Establish a trusted working relationship with the FIA’s executive committees and FIA members in
order to provide best advice with regards to all regulatory matters.
- Identify, monitor, interpret and assess the impact of the relevant legislation and provide guidance
and input to the Regulatory Board Committee on such proposals.
- Assist and facilitate an understanding of the impact of proposed changes taking into
consideration the diverse membership of the FIA i.e. corporate vs small business.
- Engage with Regulators and other stakeholders on such proposals as well as identify and make
recommendations of improvement where required.
- Assist with the drafting of policies and procedures in response to new legislation and market
objectives based on an initial impact and gap analysis.
- Articulate and communicate changes to FIA executive and members based on the impact of
regulatory change events and input received.
- Be aware of implementation by FIA membership and the standard of general compliance.
- Assist in exercising appropriate disciplinary measures in line with the FIA Code of Conduct.
- Regular monitoring of regulators and parliamentary notices, websites, alerts, legal briefs,
whitepapers and media.
- Researching, tracking and identifying industry trends with a specific focus on regulation.
- To research similar regulatory frameworks in other international jurisdictions and how these are
interpreted and enacted by similar type organisations.
- Evaluate broader impact of the regulatory changes on people, processes and technology within
the intermediary industry.
- Good financial market legislation knowledge (CISCA, FAIS, FICA, PFA, Companies Act, Income Tax).
- Regulator and industry interaction – identify and establish relationships with relevant public policy and stakeholder bodies as well as attend industry regulatory events.
- Regulatory intelligence to provide additional researched regulatory context and support for communication of regulatory changes.
- Conduct policy and best practices research for new legislation development or where new legislation is in the consultation phase.
Qualifications & experience required:
- Minimum LLB
- BComm (Advantageous)
- Certificate in Compliance/Risk Management (Advantageous)
- Project management (Advantageous)
- Minimum of 5 -7 years’ experience as a legal adviser in financial services environment with solid
experience in drafting of legal agreements and providing legal advice
- Good working knowledge and understanding of the universe of legislation and regulations that affect FIA members such as COFI, Medical Schemes Act, CISCA, PFA, Income Tax Act, FAIS,
FICA, Companies Act, Insurance Act (Short and Long term), King IV and others.
- Good stakeholder engagement skills and ability to build good working relationships
- Strong legal drafting experience required for the drafting of draft policies and procedures in
response to new legislation
- Ability to interpret legislation and make recommendations taking into account the intermediaries
- Analysis and attention to detail
- Proven research and networking skills
- Legislative, Regulatory and Case Law knowledge
- Exposure and basic knowledge of the financial services laws
- Knowledge of drafting legal contracts and policies
- Strong interpersonal skills- written and verbal skills
- Legal Writing Skills
- Legal Advisory and interpretation
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Proven track record of working independently without constant supervision
- Ability to deliver against aggressive deadlines
- Ability to adapt quickly to changes in the environment
- Strong ability to collaborate and work across teams/business units without formal authority
- The incumbent must be willing and able to travel.
- Knowledge of MS Office suite (e.g. Project, PowerPoint, Excel, Word, Outlook, Sharepoint)
How to Apply :
Send a copy of your cv to email@example.com
Applications close 30 June 2018
For more information call on 012 665 0085