CN&CO’s Carel Nolte recently addressed a group of insurance brokers at the CIB Broker Session in Johannesburg, where he shared his philosophy on how to build a winning brand. Although his talk was aimed at insurance brokers, these principles can be applied to any industry.
- Build relationships and focus on the details. Knowing what your contacts, clients and staff’s interests are will allow you to add massive value and make a substantial impact on your relationships with them.
- Your people are your biggest brand ambassadors. Build an internal culture that makes them feel like part of the fabric of your organisation and acknowledges them as people.
- Talk about your industry with passion. Positive energy and enthusiasm are contagious. Exude these things and you will be remembered.
- Don’t hide or keep secrets. Sooner or later people will always find out. Rather be open about the good and the bad in your organisations. Build positive relationships with competitors.
- Think laterally. If everyone’s doing it, you should be doing something else.
- Nothing is unfixable, unless you’re not dead. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes. No one ever succeeded by being cautious.