On Friday, 1 June 2017 a few special guests were invited to attend Kong, Cedar Square for an evening of food, wine and people for a Kong and Warwick Wine pairing evening where delectable Asian cuisine was paired with South Africa’s finest wine to be shared and enjoyed in the company of incredible people.
The wine master for the evening:
Jenny Ratcliffe-Wright, a cape wine master and published author who runs the PR and communications for the Warwick Estate, one of South Africa’s most boutique wineries. Jenny was accompanied by Carel and the combination of Jenny’s amazing wine expertise and Carel’s passion for people, networking and high quality food, the evening was most certainly one of a kind.
Carel and Jenny were joined by a diverse group of passionate South Africans who, much like the hosts have a love for local wine, asian cuisine and interesting people.
Kong manager, Johnny and his team created a signature menu for the guests to enjoy that was made up of some of the most favorable Asian flavors with a special Kong twist.
- A new take on traditional crystal roles: thinly sliced beef, carrots, bean sprouts and cucumber wrapped in a rice pastry served with Kong’s signature tamarind sauce
- Salmon Sui Mai: for the dim sum lovers – salmon and ginger dumplings steamed and served with dim sum sauce
- Apple duck: roast duck on a bed of book chop with a vibrant green apple sauce
- Soft shell crab: an Asian favorite – tempura soft shell crab with a hint of pepper, onion and edamame beans
- A twist to the traditional wok fried dish: Wok fried rib eye cubed and served with a black pepper and 3 soya sauce
- Prawn Teriyaki: Grilled prawns on a bed of noodles in a teriyaki sauce
For the sweet tooth:
- Kong’s best selling dessert: Thai Silk, white and dark chocolate gnash balls
- A signature dish: deep fried banana topped with almonds and dusted with icing sugar
The Warwick Wine team led by Kerryn Brews selected four of their top selling wines to pair with the Asian cuisine for the evening:
- Warwick First Lady Rosè: Soft pink in colour, this rosè is bone dry yet soft and lush bursting with accents of pomegranate, strawberry and watermelon.
- Warwick First Lady Chardonnay (Unoaked): A pale staw coloured wine with floral, lemon, citrus and fish pineapple notes supported by a lingering acidity.
- Warwick 3 Cape Ladies: An enticing blend of reds.
- Warwick Cabernet Franc: A rich and explosive red wine with a soft, sweet, black currant flavour.
With some additional surprises in store for the evening, the guests were encouraged to exercise their social media capabilities and post their experiences on Warwick Wine and Kong’s Instagram and Twitter platforms, generating a sense of competitiveness amongst the guests, a new dynamic for the evening as they commented on and snapped photos of their individual experiences.
Mixing together the ingredients of great wine, delicious food and incredible dynamic people was evening certainly the perfect recipe. Food + People + Wine most certainly equal everything.
For more information: