The board of Business and Arts South Africa (BASA) is calling for nominations for three non-executive directors. The current BASA board consists of 12 non-executive board members and one executive member, all of whom contribute to the overall success, governance and compliance of the organisation.
Nominations should include the name of the proposer, a letter of motivation, and a detailed CV of the proposed candidate. This documentation may be submitted to Rochelle Singh via e-mail at email@example.com. The deadline for nominations is Wednesday, 31 July 2019.
One of the key objectives of this nomination process is to have a board that consists of expert members who contribute actively to its functioning. Areas of address that members would be required to support would include fundraising strategies, marketing, policy and governance, and financial support.
The board members would be required to be strategically engaged but not operationally active. In 2017, the board appointed a governance committee to assist with this process, consisting of members who are eligible for election to the board, and who have the necessary knowledge of the organisation.
The duties of the governance committee are to:
- Receive nominations for potential candidates
- Identify potential candidates based on the balance and representation of the Board
- Evaluate candidates based on background information, declaration of interests and curriculum vitae
- Prepare a short-list of candidates
- Prepare a recommended list of nominees for election at the annual general meeting
Eligibility of Nominees
Nominees should meet the following qualification criteria:
- Preference will be given to paid-up BASA members who have been active for 12 months
- The nominee should preferably have at least five years’ cumulative experience as a director of one or more of the following entities:
- A listed company
- An unlisted company
- A public sector body (whether incorporated or created by statute); or be
- A director, or equivalent, of a not-for-profit (NPO) organisation of substance; or
- An arts or arts-affiliated organisation or body, or be
- An individual with proven business experience.
- The nominee should have the expertise and capacity to serve on one or more of the following expert committees:
- Risk and audit committee
- Fundraising and marketing committee
- Human resources committee
- Governance committee
Preference will be given to candidates with finance/audit and/or professional arts experience.
BASA is a national organisation and this will be considered when selecting Board Members. It is envisaged that board members will serve for a period of three years, in order to retain institutional memory. The qualification criteria application is subject to the discretion of the governance committee.
The current BASA board comprises the following members:
- Charmaine Soobramoney (Chairperson)
- Mandie van der Spuy (Deputy Chairperson)
- Ashraf Johaardien (CEO)
- Hilton Lawler
- Andre Le Roux
- Khanyi Mamba
- Dorothea Moors
- Zingisa Motloba
- Carel Nolte
- Dr Yacoob Omar
- Mirna Wessels
The AGM on 18 September 2019 will deal with three specific items:
- Considering and approving the amendments to the Articles of Association in line with governance best practice.
- Electing three Non-Executive Directors to serve on the Board, as discussed in the preceding section.
- Approval of the Annual Financial Statements (AFS).
The formal notice of the AGM will be sent to members within the required timeframes.
Should you require further information, please contact Rochelle Singh on 011 447 2295 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.