Business and Art South Africa (BASA) develops partnership between business and the arts in a variety of ways. CN&CO enjoys a close association with BASA, with Carel Nolte being a member of the board.
The South African economy is tough and uncertain. It presents both opportunities and challenges. In the not-for-profit sector such in which BASA operates, it is the “survival of the fittest”. Michelle Constant, CEO of BASA, believes it is with the late Mohammed Ali’s teachings and concept of “resilience, absorption and agility” that the organisation can survive against all odds moving into the future.
Highlights from the news bulletin this month:
- BASA is excited about its website revamp and encourages members to interact and inform the BASA team about any interesting art stories it can include on the website.
- BASA continued its commitment to celebrate the best business and arts partnerships at the 19th Annual BASA Awards. Eleven projects and special award recipient were honoured.
- #ArtMOVESme is an art campaign that explores the value of the arts for both business and broader society. Part of the #ArtMOVESme campaign is the graffiti hoarding project. This is a way in which the public can express how art “moves them” through graffiti. This year it took place at the National Arts Festival in early July.
- BASA, in partnership with Standard Bank announced a new series of BASA Africa Business Breakfasts earlier this year. The first breakfast took place at the Market Theatre in Johannesburg on 19 May 2016. The event took focus on the emergence – and growing importance – of Creative Change: A New Business Paradigm.
- BASA’s partnership with The University of Johannesburg Faculty of Art, Design and Architecture (UJ FADA) for the Professional Practice of the Arts Talks was held again this year with 2nd and 3rd year students over August and September.
- BASA welcomed new members to the board
Don’t miss out on the upcoming events:
- Next round of BASA Supporting Grants – closing date 9 November 2016
- Business and Arts South Africa celebrates 20 years in 2017
Follow BASA on Twitter for more news updates